Here are the guidelines for the Second Joseph Smerdelj Short Story Contest. The deadline is January 1st, 2017 so get your entries in as soon as you can.
Submission Requirements: Open to WEN members ONLY
- entries must be original, unpublished fiction or non-fiction, typed and double-spaced, between 500 and 2,000 words (excluding the title) using Times New Roman 12 font.
- Stories that have been published in all other formats , such as blogs, newsletters, on-line groups are considered previously published. The authors retain their copyright, but first-print rights are granted to WEN for the anthology.
- The contest deadline is 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on January 1, 2017 (e-datestamp or postmark) . Late submissions will not be considered.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name should not appear anywhere in the story. Authors can submit only one entry.
- Submission should be sent via email as a Word file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must be accompanied by a separate cover sheet with the author’s name, complete mailing address, email , phone number, the title of the piece, and the word count.
- There is a $10 fee for the entry. Payment is in Canadian funds via cheque /money order payable to WEN at 251 McKee Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 4E2 or payable in cash at one of the WEN breakfast meetings.
Pay Online Using PayPal
Prizes and Publication:
- First place is $250, second place is $125 and third place is $75. Three Honourable mention prizes of $25.00 will also be awarded. All winning entries will be read at our Members Reading in July
- Winners will be contacted by June. Results will be posted on our website and Facebook.
- Contest Judges are Nina Munteanu and Professor Leonard Rosmarin.