Recently, WEN member Antonio Maggio took several copies of our Anthology to Italy. In this photo, he is donating a copy to Dr. Maria Rosa Naselli of the Community Library of Barcellona Pozza di Gotto. Antonio has commented he is very proud to visit Italy and show libraries a copy of Canadian Imprints Vol III. Antonio has several poems in this edition. In addition, Husain Mehdi took several copies to India. He stated he met PM Justin Trudeau at one of the meetings.
Long-time WEN member, Dr. Glenn Reid was ordained as a Deacon in the Anglican-Catholic church on Sunday, January 28, 2018. President Maria Marchelletta and Maurus Cappa attended the ceremony. Glenn also served as President of WEN from 2009 to 2010. Let us all congratulate Glenn on his accomplishment.
Canadian Imprints Volume III will be launched on December 9th, 2017 at the annual WEN Holiday Party at Canadiana Restaurant. Authors will be able to pick up their copies at the book launch and read a selection from the book. The book is dedicated to Canada 150 and WEN’s 16th Anniversary. Click on images to view full size and to read Prof Leonard Rosmarin’s introduction on the back cover.
The Word on the Street Festival was held on September 24th at Harbourfront. For the second year in a row, the Writers and Editors Network organization participated with a booth in the Writers Block. The booth was staffed by a dedicated group of volunteers from the WEN membership. Special thanks to Marianne Funny for organizing the booth and to Prad Chaudhuri who arrived at the crack of dawn to ensure everything was in order. Overall, the booth generated a great deal of interest for our WEN organization. Volunteers included Barb Nobel, Martina Wood, Bruna Di Giusppe Bertoni, Jane Fraser, Josie Visentini, Stephens Han, Mostafa Dini and Ben Antao.
The 2017 Word on the Street Festival is fast approaching. It will be held on Sunday, September 24th at Harbourfront Centre. WEN will have a booth and is presently looking for volunteers for the booth. Volunteers will be able to sell their books while promoting WEN. Contact Marianne Funny who will be coordinating the booth. Even if you are not a volunteer, you are encouraged to come out to the festival and stop by the booth.
For more details, visit the Word on the Street website at https://thewordonthestreet.ca/toronto/ .
Congratulations to the winners of the WEN 2017 Joseph Smrdelj Short Story Contest:
1st Prize- Heather Dick
2nd Prize- Jacob Hogeterp
3rd Prize- Leticia Rodrigues
Special appreciation to our Judges Dr. Rosmarin and Nina Munteanu and the benefactor of the contest, Bernarda Smrdelj.
Here are the guidelines for the Second Joseph Smerdelj Short Story Contest. The deadline is January 1st, 2017 so get your entries in as soon as you can.
Submission Requirements: Open to WEN members ONLY
- entries must be original, unpublished fiction or non-fiction, typed and double-spaced, between 500 and 2,000 words (excluding the title) using Times New Roman 12 font.
- Stories that have been published in all other formats , such as blogs, newsletters, on-line groups are considered previously published. The authors retain their copyright, but first-print rights are granted to WEN for the anthology.
- The contest deadline is 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on January 1, 2017 (e-datestamp or postmark) . Late submissions will not be considered.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name should not appear anywhere in the story. Authors can submit only one entry.
- Submission should be sent via email as a Word file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must be accompanied by a separate cover sheet with the author’s name, complete mailing address, email , phone number, the title of the piece, and the word count.
- There is a $10 fee for the entry. Payment is in Canadian funds via cheque /money order payable to WEN at 251 McKee Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 4E2 or payable in cash at one of the WEN breakfast meetings.
Pay Online Using PayPal
Prizes and Publication:
- First place is $250, second place is $125 and third place is $75. Three Honourable mention prizes of $25.00 will also be awarded. All winning entries will be read at our Members Reading in July
- Winners will be contacted by June. Results will be posted on our website and Facebook.
- Contest Judges are Nina Munteanu and Professor Leonard Rosmarin.